Sunday, May 4, 2008

wes: from florida

I would like to start off by saying that I am honored to be a guest blogger on Krista's Johnson blog. Kind of sounds dirty when you put it that way. I think this is a pretty clever idea, not as clever as Krista's roundabout way of confessing her love for me but clever. Just kidding. You can erase that if you want Krista.

Right now I am sitting in a condo in southwest Florida that is decorated an 1989 pastel western motif. I have been sitting in the sun all day and I am parched and tired, but I probably shouldn't be complaining since I am in Florida. I am highjacking an old ladies wireless internet from down the hall so I can write this thing, and I am listening to one of the prettiest songs I have ever heard called Window by Damien Jurdado with Rosie Thomas singing harmony. If you have 99 cents to spare I would suggest purchasing it on itunes, it's worth your money.

Highlights from my day were:
1. Reading and Journaling while eating Honey Bunches of Oats and drinking coffee next to the Gulf of Mexico.
2. Swimming in the pool
3. Talking to my little brother on the phone
4. Meeting a 60 year-old man named Betty Boop while eating seafood at this place called the Hungry Heron. He had Betty Boop's face tattooed on his ankle and he carried a Betty Boop wallet. He invited me to eat breakfast at his restaurant sometime this week. I'm not sure if I am going to go or not.
5. Watching the sunset over the Gulf of Mexico on an isolated beach. I saw a dolphin swim by right before it sun went over the horizon.

I came down here to slow down for a bit and hopefully learn some stuff about myself and God. Every couple hours I get anxious because I haven't spent this much time by myself before and I'm not sure if I will make the full week. I really enjoy alone time, but those times have been sparse lately. It was nice not having an agenda today and didn't even carry my watch with me. There is something freeing about that.

The condo I am staying in doesn't have cable or a DVD player but they do have a VCR and about a hundred VHS tapes all of which are kids movies or Adam Sandler movies. I went to the local video rental store tonight and picked up a couple tapes that I could watch if I ever get bored this week. Let's be honest I will probably watch them all tomorrow.

I am making a video blog for everyday that I am here, I realize that is super dorky, but I am a dork so I don't care. If you want to watch them click here.

*Blog owner's note: Apparently I shouldn't have started these because I (surprisingly) don't always have something to say. I will tell you that I am very jealous of Wes's location right now and the sunset/dolphin story really doesn't help matters.

1 comment:

Wes said...

johnsonville. what was i thinking? still dirty though.