Monday, May 26, 2008

lynn: irreplaceable

To the left
To the left

To the left
To the left

Everything you own in the box to the left
In the closet, thats my stuff
Yes, if I bought it, then please don't touch

And keep talking that mess, thats fine
Could you walk and talk, at the same time?
And its my name thats on that jag
So go move your bags, let me call you a cab S

tanding in the front yard, telling me
How I'm such a fool, talking 'bout
How I'll never ever find a man like you
You got me twisted Y

ou must not know 'bout me
You must not know 'bout me I
could have another you in a minute
Matter fact, he'll be here in a minute

You must not know 'bout me
You must not know 'bout me
I can have another you by tomorrow S
o don't you ever for a second get to thinkin'
You're irreplaceable

So go ahead and get gone
Call up that chick, and see if shes home
Oops I bet you thought, that I didn't know
What did you think I was putting you out for?
Because you was untrue
Rolling her around in the car that I bought you
Baby, drop them keys
Hurry up, before your taxi leaves

Standing in the front yard, telling me
How I'm such a fool, talking 'bout
How I'll never ever find a man like you
You got me twisted

You must not know 'bout me
You must not know 'bout me
I could have another you in a minute
Matter fact, he'll be here in a minute

You must not know 'bout me Y
ou must not know 'bout me
I'll have another you by tomorrow S
o don't you ever for a second get to thinkin'
You're irreplaceable

So since I'm not your everything How about I'll be nothing? nothing at all to you
Baby I won't shed a tear for you
I won't lose a wink of sleep
Cause the truth of the matter is

Replacing you is so easy

To the left to the left
To the left to the left

You can pack all your bags we're finished
Cause you made your bed now lay in it
I could have another you by tomorrow
Don't you ever for a second get to thinkin' You're irreplaceable

Although Beyonce’s up-beat song with some decent harmony is a fun listen (I will admit, it is on the playlist that I run to), her message couldn’t be more demeaning. The other day I took a minute to actually listen to the lyrics and was appalled. I guess there is some controversy over the actual author but it doesn’t really matter who wrote it.

To me, the song goes against Christianity’s core, which is love and forgiveness, and ultimately makes relationships solely a selfish endeavor. It eludes that the second you are hurt or not the other persons first priority, it’s over. The main phrase “to the left” belittles the person to almost nothing and she harshly declares never to think that you are irreplaceable.

I know, I know—this is just a song. But I honestly think that it is a pretty blunt wake-up call to what our culture thinks and how we view each other. I mean, if someone can make a hit song saying that and no one flips out, what does that say about our value of life? What’s worse, are there people who actually believe this? In either position, Beyonce’s or the poor guy who she was “dating”, you are either so full of yourself that there is no one who can tell you otherwise or you feel like you are the scum of the earth and could never make a difference or be someone.

In a book renouncing the wishy-washy “love”, lies from people we trust that we so easily believe, and romantic psyches from the media, Brennan Manning brings the message that we are all broken and nothing without God but that by his grace he calls us his children who are loved unconditionally and eternally.

"All religious and political systems, Right and Left alike, are the work of human beings. Abba's children will not sell their birthright for any mess of pottage, conservative or liberal. They hold fast to their freedom in Christ to live the gospel-uncontaminated by cultural dreck, political flotsam, and the filigreed hypocrisies of bullying religion."--Brennan Manning from Abba's Child

How much more beautiful would the world be if we could look at each other with authentic love and care for each other out of genuine interest in seeing the other succeed? How much would change if difference became something to be celebrated and explored and uniqueness was an expression of the greatness of our God? How much freedom would we feel if the media didn’t dictate the standards anymore? How much beauty would we find if we didn’t have to all dress, think and act the same?
"May God deliver us from self-righteous judging and make us, instead, merciful carriers of Christ's salvation and freedom everywhere we go."--Jim Cymbala

Someone who I have deep admiration and respect for, who inspires me and challenges me, who lived what she preached and whose profound words and actions still impact lives today is Mother Teresa. She understood the huge value that every person has and lived her life showing it. She selflessly gave dignity to those who were treated as if they had none. She desperately served the poorest of the poor with a heart so full of compassion. The worth she gave each person she came into contact with was not from her but from someone much bigger who gave her the strength and wisdom.

“Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.”--Mother Teresa

“Jesus said love one another. He didn't say love the whole world.”--Mother Teresa

Finally, there were few things Jesus stressed more than love during his time of ministry. It was the essence of his messages and the motivation of his actions.

John 13:34A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

Romans 12:10Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.

I would encourage you to read all of this Psalm where David is understanding God’s intimate desire for him because he is a exclusive and magnificent creation of His!

Psalm 139:13-14 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

Whether we are in Beyonces’ position or on the receiving end may we strive to love first and live freely, admitting our faults, knowing our immeasurable value to God, and showing each other just how precious God made each and every one of us. May our attitudes reflect hearts full of love. And may we live with integrity giving dignity to all with our identity rooted in Christ.

No comments: