Thursday, May 22, 2008

meredith: teaching

Krista once asked if I had any good stories from work. I teach pre-kindergarten (3-5 year olds) and love it…well, at least most days.
Anyway, this particular day I was rapping up a math lesson and getting the materials cleaned up. One of my students, we’ll call her Jane, walked up to me and innocently asked, “What are you doing?”
I told her I was cleaning up. Then, she asked, “What is that?”
I was holding the teacher’s manual and explained to her that the book helps me teach. Then, Jane looked up at me thinking for a minute…finally she said, “Ooohhhh, so you’re a teacher.”
“Yes, Jane, yes I am a teacher!”
Now, this might be an expected realization in September, but this was MARCH!!! So either I have taught these children everything under the sun from social skills, problem solving, letters and numbers, math skills, and pre-reading/writing skills…and I skipped the lesson on who I am and what I do, or this is just another example of how it takes some kids a little longer for things to sink in.
Talk about a humbling conversation for this “super” teacher!

*Blog owner's note: What if her name really was Jane? Then we would know the real name but we would think it was the fake name. So you couldn't really get in trouble, right? That is what I was wondering about as I read this. I think the kids at work still don't know what my job is..

No comments: