So, I’m Michele and I’m Krista’s cousin and friend. We were born only a couple of weeks apart and grew up in the same wonderful small area known as Epleyanna. As you can imagine we were pretty much together all of the time growing up. When I think of Krista and our great memories growing up what I remember most is playing hotel at my grandma’s house, going on walks and collecting ‘cool’ rocks to show our grandma which we mostly got from her yard, dressing up her dog Buffy in doll clothes, switching our clothes to ‘trick’ Krista’s mom in thinking that we were the other person (which Cheryl so nicely played along with…and we truly thought we fooled her…I’m pretty sure that we didn’t though) and going on creek walks (I actually pronounce the word ‘crick’ but wasn’t sure if that’s an actual word or not because I only ever hear the people of Epleyanna call it that???). That crick (I now think it must be a real word because spell check didn’t yell at me) is seriously the base of so many memories I have growing up. Like the one time that Krista, me and one of my friends went rafting and my friend peed in the raft we were all sitting in…it was pretty disgusting. But then again, how disgusting is the crick water we were wading around in anyways…my family’s cattle were always ‘relieving’ themselves of bodily functions in that water and who knows what else is in that water, but for some reason when a human pees and you are sitting in it, it’s more disgusting. There was a different time when I was about 9 or 10 years old that my older sister and I were down at the crick. She thought she’d show me this ‘cool’ trick of how here shoe floats on the water. So, she took her shoe off, placed it on the water and of course it sunk right to the bottom. She immediately started to freak out and demanded that I find her shoe. Apparently, when you lose one shoe, you are somehow disabled??? Of course this water is extremely dirty (please see above) and hard to see through. I tried to find her shoe, but had no luck. She made me carry her home. (Krista & Jodi – I’m sure you can take a pretty educated guess as to which of my older sisters would do this)
I miss those days of being a kid and care-free and just filling your time finding random things to do outside. It was always a blast and you never had to worry about stupid bills or going to work. All you did was have fun all day long and somehow all of your needs were magically met. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love my job…but how awesome would it be to not have to work??? Although, I do think I would miss my job. It can be rather entertaining sometimes. I work as a Financial Aid Specialist at Highland Community College and some of the students create for some interesting conversation. Like the other day, one of our ‘non-traditional’ (which is our nice way of saying OLD) students came up to talk with me 3 different times in one day….about nothing to do with financial aid. He was telling me about how he starts his new paper route tomorrow. He said ‘yeah, I only have about 8 routes now but before I went to prison my kids and I shared over 50!’. He continued to talk but all my mind kept wondering to was the part where he said ‘went to prison’….he acted like it was no big deal and it was just part of the conversation. There was another instance when an irate student called to ask me why he never received his loan money. I explained to him that since he wasn’t enrolled in college, he is not eligible to receive loan money from us….he called me a ‘racist’….over the phone….I’m still unsure of what race I’m against. There was another time that one of our student’s was unsure if his mom was married or not, so one of my co-workers had to call his mom to find out….turns out she was in fact married.
Go Cubs.
I miss those days of being a kid and care-free and just filling your time finding random things to do outside. It was always a blast and you never had to worry about stupid bills or going to work. All you did was have fun all day long and somehow all of your needs were magically met. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love my job…but how awesome would it be to not have to work??? Although, I do think I would miss my job. It can be rather entertaining sometimes. I work as a Financial Aid Specialist at Highland Community College and some of the students create for some interesting conversation. Like the other day, one of our ‘non-traditional’ (which is our nice way of saying OLD) students came up to talk with me 3 different times in one day….about nothing to do with financial aid. He was telling me about how he starts his new paper route tomorrow. He said ‘yeah, I only have about 8 routes now but before I went to prison my kids and I shared over 50!’. He continued to talk but all my mind kept wondering to was the part where he said ‘went to prison’….he acted like it was no big deal and it was just part of the conversation. There was another instance when an irate student called to ask me why he never received his loan money. I explained to him that since he wasn’t enrolled in college, he is not eligible to receive loan money from us….he called me a ‘racist’….over the phone….I’m still unsure of what race I’m against. There was another time that one of our student’s was unsure if his mom was married or not, so one of my co-workers had to call his mom to find out….turns out she was in fact married.
Go Cubs.
*Blog owner's note: No loan money if you don't enroll? I find that kind of strange.
I'm pretty sure it is a "crick." Since we lived by one and spent most of our summers IN one- we get to make the rules. I think it may have been rafting when a leech attached itself to my foot and I had a huge bruise for quite some time.
Also it is a KY-OTE. Not a KY-O-TEE. Right?
2 comments:
my vote - crick...definitely crick. And a funny thing...when Bailey hears people talk sort of Chicago mixed with Wisconsin....she says they talk like a Niedermeier. LOL
crick is the Epleyanna way! Also, Michele was always welcome here and a joy to have -- Krista wanted her here 24/7!
Love,
Aunt Cheryl
Post a Comment