Thursday, May 15, 2008

introducing: my dad

I'm not sure where to start but here are my options.

1. My dad's birthday was yesterday. It is a day that I am extremely thankful for.
2. My parent's have caller ID. One time I called home and my father answered "Who's your daddy?"

I mentioned yesterday, while introducing my mom, that I have amazing parents. I do.

My dad has taught me a lot over the years. Chess, euchre, sports, planting, and fishing all included. He is patient, loving, caring, and a good listener. His words can make me (good) cry. He hasn't grasped the whole internet thing (mom typed his blog yesterday and sent it to me) except to buy fishing lures on ebay so I have received a lot of handwritten letters over the years. If you know me at all, you know I love letters.

My dad has taught me what love looks like and how a gentleman acts. Some of the best advice I have received has come from my father (often in lecture form :). To save, but to not save so much as to miss opportunites or to have fun. To explore and to make the most of every opportunity. Hard work, the value of the strangers checking out your groceries, and standing up for what you believe in.

I'm a daddy's girl. I think it drives my mom nuts, although I love them both more than I will ever be able to express.


No comments: