Sunday, November 18, 2007

bucket or friend

There is an event that I thought that I had put behind me. It was quite traumatic and I had almost repressed it. Since it resurfaced this weekend, I thought it might be therapeutic to rehash it and then move on.

During my freshman year of college I worked at the Pella Day Care. They asked me to read a book to the preschool/kindergarten kids. I happily agreed. They picked the book Arthur's New Puppy. (I found this review by accident. I love kids.) I began to read and the kids were talking. So I stopped. The conversation went like this.

KMB: What?
*ATK: The puppy's name is pal. You are saying it wrong.
KMB: No I'm not.
ATK: Yes you are.
KMB: Am not, you little turds.
ATK: You are saying PAIL. The puppy's name is PAL.
KMB: You are saying the same thing.
ATK: No we aren't.
KMB: Well I can't say Pal. I can just say pail.
ATK: Why?
KMB: I just can't. I don't know, ask a speech pathologist. Can I call him spot instead?
ATK: No.
KMB: Oh.

*ATK does not stand for initials, it stands for All The Kids. All the kids were in agreement against me.

I thought I had put this event past me. Until I had to read the book to my 2 year old cousin this weekend. She, fortunately, didn't notice.

No comments: