I'm a mix of proud of myself and ashamed.
As I was driving home there was a car following me TOO CLOSE even by Chicago-land standards. Then I noticed she was texting. So by the time I turned left and she was going to straight, I was a little upset. Upset enough, apparently, that I tapped my horn.
Let me clarify that I did really (hardly) tap the horn. I mean, I'm kind of surprised she heard it or looked up. My horn is weak. If I actually laid on the horn, you would laugh because it actually sounds like it is sick or the horn-battery-that-doesn't-exist is dying. So there is either real real quick burst or real quick burst or a quick burst so as to avoid being laughed at or confusing people (what is that weird dying noise??). As we all know, GM hardly recalled the ignition problem, so I'm assuming they aren't going to recall my horn...
Anyway, I was upset enough, apparently, that I tapped my horn and she looked up. I mimed and mouthed "texting?" She was like "yea" smiling and nodding like, "texting is the best, right?" And here I wish I would have modified my mood, therefore modifying my behavior. She wasn't a jerk. She wasn't out to kill us all. Just making a super stupid (and illegal) decision. But I was angry, I was in the domino line of upset and mean, and I just mouthed "stupid. It's stupid." While, I think, having a disgusted look on my face.
And then I refused to look over again. Longestredever.
And then I thought about it THE WHOLE WAY HOME.
-I both wish and don't wish that we lived in a culture that was more openly and comfortably monitoring the social behavior of strangers.
-I love that thehusband is really good at being decent to all people, even when he's upset.
-I wish I looked at all people and always saw the person that Jesus loves. Always. In all my moods.
-I wonder if driver's ed in Chicagoland teaches: leaving space between the car in front of you, picking up speed during turns, and using turn signals.
-Maybe I saved that girls life! Maybe she doesn't think I'm a huge jerk. Or maybe she's going to drive super recklessly now that I mouthed "Stupid" at her (twice).
-Am I super old and crotchety?
-Do I want to do this more? Less? (Less being NEVER. Ever. Except to friends, who I do monitor sometimes. Love you all....)
-You are both not important enough to have to text while you are driving, and too important to text while you're driving.
-Worrying about how mean I was. All things considered, though, I mouthed "Stupid" at her twice... I should be able to sleep tonight.
-Dear texter, if you're reading this, not calling YOU stupid. But texting and driving is stupid. Please stop.
-Also embarrassing (and hypocritical) is that it took me the law to completely stop even though I knew it was completely stupid before the law. So, thank you, law.
Wednesday, April 2, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
For the record, Jesus said more offensive things than "Stupid" to stupid people. He still loved them. Just as you apparently have a higher regard for this texter than she has for herself ("You are both not important enough to have to text while you are driving, and too important to text while you are driving." - that was my favorite).
No, you're not super old and crotchety. Though, if you are, I certainly am.
Post a Comment